Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Writing & Cultural Differences

Wednesday June 12, 13
            So, today marks the second week since I left for Ghana, and what an incredible two weeks it’s been!  I’ve spent all day writing; I'll be doing a project with Professor Zuckerman this fall on Contemporary Sociological Theory, and decided to get a head start on some of the work.  I’m only two books in out of eight, and they’ve both been difficult reads!  This morning I wrote a paper on Frantz Fanon’s The Wretched of The Earth, a sort of “how to” on colonial revolutions and what is to come post-independence; quite a read while in an area that only achieved independence a little over 50 years ago!  My book was as exhausted as I was (printed in 1963 and hardly a book at all). 

            In addition to that 8 pager, I had another 10 of transcription to do from the previous day. Not much is going on today, so I figured I’d share some interesting observations about Ghana and the culture here instead.  As Keith Hubert, a former professor of mine who first brought me to Ghana would say, Ghana is full of opposites.  From the mundane, like throwing away all tissues and toilet paper in a trashcan so as to prevent a blockage in the sewage line, to the totally bizarre, like how no one uses their left hand when doing any sort of business transaction (the left hand is considered the “dirty hand” and as a result, you’ll hand money to someone and take the product in one fluid motion with your right hand). 
            One of the more interesting ones to me is the “holding hands” opposite.  Ghana is on the list of incredibly homophobic countries (there are legal penalties for homosexuality here), and even in casual conversations I’ve had here, people talk with disgust about homosexuals “doing things that animals don’t do.”  I found it quite odd, then, when I first arrived in Ghana some four years ago and met the trotro’s “mate” who introduced himself to me, gave me a handshake, then when introductions were over, he just kept holding my hand.  For the whole conversation.  And then some.  See, here in Ghana, unlike in America, holding hands is not something that implies romantic intention whatsoever; it's an innocent sign of friendship.  If you need to go somewhere and don’t know the way, it’s quite common to be led there by the hand.  And gender doesn’t matter – man, women, what have you, holding hands is just a nice, physical connection that people display for connection’s sake.  I’ve also noticed it a lot with full grown adults leading others across a busy street, alike an American Mom leading her children about a parking lot – just tight enough to yank back if a care comes too close.  
It was still hard to get used to after a few weeks!

            Of course, another common practice is to display your religious beliefs on your most cherished possessions.  Every store has some sort of bible verse, reference to God or Jesus, or religious symbol as the name, as well as all cars have fun stickers of the virgin Mary and Christian verses.  Some people seem to believe in Christianity a whole lot here, but more than anything, it just seems cultural; people ask what kind of religion you are just like we’d ask where you’re from.  A kind of question that really doesn’t inform you a whole ton because we’re all from somewhere and you’ll probably forget it soon anyways.  And there’s no one dominant form of Christianity here, it’s totally up for grabs. Catholics, Methodists, Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Presbyterians, ect.  And right alongside is Islam (although only about 12% of the population is Muslim, and they're mostly up north.  

            I’ll try to think of some more interesting aspects of Ghana to talk about for tomorrow, where the plan is either to go to Akosombo or just relax for a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment