Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 June 2013

To Sogakope!


6/4 – Tuesday
Today was my big travel day to the unknown; Sogakope!  After breakfast, I settled my bill here at the joy family lodge and adorned my two, far too heavy backpacks in search of a trotro.  Upon hailing one, I found it very difficult to carry both bags.  Luckily, the woman next to me simply said, “Bra,” and grabbed my bag to hold for me.  It had rained all night, and I was able to see the flooding I’ve read about; streets flowed with rich, red dirt-saturated water like rivers – the trotros moved at a snail’s pace. 
I was light at King’s way, then walked to Tudu (a more direct route this time) and entered the station.  I was confronted no less than half a dozen times, addressed by, “Obruni, where are you going?” Normally, I would disregard this kind of hawking, but the car I had arranged the day before last was no where to be found.  So, I indulged them, and was led to a Sogakope car.  I bought my ticket for 5 Cidis 50 Peswas (about $2.75!) and hopped in.  After the car was full we were off!
The ride, about two and a half hours, was beautiful.  I was so happy to be out of the city – The planes rolled on far off into the distance; rich, rusty red dirt topped with lush greens and low trees. Every now and again we’d cross a town or a small river, and one passenger would be light. This region’s main crop was watermelons – Every 400 yards or so a small pyramid of watermelons was erected with a salesman nearby or in the field to gather more.  

Upon arrival, I was shocked to see what a hotel manager had told me on the phone; taxis were nonexistent, everyone takes motorcycles everywhere.  So, I mounted my backpacks, one in front, one on the back, and hopped on a motorcycle to head to the hotel Cisneros!  After being let into my room, I worked on transcribing and reading until and after dinner.  For dinner, I walked down the street to a rasturaunt called “Somewhere.”  I didn’t believe the hotel employee when they told me to go to “somewhere.”

No comments:

Post a Comment