Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 June 2013

Planning the next adventure & Ghanaian politics


6/9 –  Sunday
Today is my last day at Joy before I head off on another adventure.  I was woken up promptly at 7; the wedding that took place yesterday at the church across from the Joy Family Lodge resumed a special Sunday service (Gospel) at 6:30!  I think I’ll head to Ho in the Volta region tomorrow, and just spend a few days checking it out, maybe completing 2-3 interviews.  Today I had an interesting morning chatting to the folks here.  First, Kofi asked me to come to Wele falls on Saturday just to check it out.  Of course!  

 More importantly, however, was my conversation with Eric here.  We chatted and compared political structures (I explained liberals, conservatives, democrats, republicans, the house of reps, senate, federal/state laws, and a whole lot more), as well as education and wages.  From what I gather here, the minimum wage in Ghana is 5 Cidis a day ($2.50), going to 150 Cidis a month ($75).  However, because unemployment is so high, business owners often pay their employees less.  If the employees complain, there are plenty of eager Ghanaians to take their place.  In addition, Eric, a university graduate with a degree in Business, tells me it’s difficult to get work around the country even holding one degree.  He and the staff are all highly educated, yet are stuck at a 200 Cidi a month ($100) hotel bellboy job, because no one is hiring.  He hopes to go back to school and get a degree in higher education, so he can have a stable government job that pays him and sets aside money for retirement (here, the social security money is only valid if you stay at a job until you retire, and most business owners don’t even pay into that for their employees).  Tomorrow I’ll take a car into Accra and then take a car to Ho and explore that city.  Today, I hope to finish my book and upload this to a blogging site!

No comments:

Post a Comment