Total Pageviews

Saturday 8 June 2013

Me Ko Ghana

So I recently purchased a dinky Vodaphone USB stick that enables me to have internet out here wherever I have cell service in Ghana -  With this purchase came the inspiration to do some blogging!  So I've collected my journal entries from the past week and some and will post them here, then, hopefully update daily (or close to it!) until I get home at the end of July!

Here's what I have before I get to Ghana:

-->
May 29th and 30th. 

Yesterday I left for what I am banking on will be the greatest adventure this far along in my life.  I’m writing from London now having completed the first leg of my trip.  On the plane I caught up with some good flicks that I had yet to see, like Argo, and re-watched The Master.  I was able to have an expensive lunch at the airport diner The Giraffe where I had my last truly western meal before Ghana.  It was there that I overheard some Boston college folks talk about their upcoming trip.  Of course, I was too shy to interject, and just quietly eavesdropped as the matriarch of the group bragged about taking “seventeen shirts” that required “re-packing the bag three times to get it all to fit in!” When I get to Ghana, I’ll be an Obruni; just not That kind of Obruni. 

It was nice reaching my gate.  It’s the same one as usual, way at the end of terminal five.  Ghanaians stand out in a wonderful way.  It’s not just the clothing – men dressed in the colorful button down shirts, Accra boys decked out in the latest city fashion, women adorned with beautiful gold and ornate dresses – but little things, like how parents will just let their children wander the airport without hovering; they’ll come back.  Or when someone has some food, others are always welcome to join in.  “You are invited!” is the proper calling for free food.  And of course the village markings – visible cuts in the cheeks of men and women, indicating where in Ghana their bodies should be returned to should they die away from home.  Ah, this one Accra boy has a bold, tight fitting t-shirt that says “INVEST IN AFRICA” over an image of Europe.  Whoa, lets unpack that!  For the record, I’m still a bit ill – cough, soar throat, aches…Oh well!  Can’t go back now!

I’ve certainly had some intense feelings of missing people from home.  It’s going to be strenuous enough heading to Africa alone, let alone doing research and schoolwork and knowing no one!  About to board the plane now – Me ko Ghana!

No comments:

Post a Comment