Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 June 2013

Show Me The Water!


6/6 – Thursday
 Although I accomplished a lot the previous day, I can say that today was nearly as productive.  I followed the same pattern to start – Breakfast, walk to the shop, and was hoping to interview Elikem, who never showed.  Instead I walked to Indugu where Paul informed me that Kwasi and Elikem were off on a business venture.  I decided to get a vodaphone chip (which has enabled me to upload this!) at the vodaphone store, and after a long business venture, returned to Indugu for an interview with Elikem. 
From there, we walked to the Zoomlion headquarters.  Zoomlion is a privat company that the government charters out to clean up Ghana, and I figured my investigation would not be complete without a proper study.  However, similar to my second visit to Roots water, Zoomlion was very skeptical of me.  The manager called the regional superior, who called the Public relations office – all to let the manager talk to me without a microphone.  In the end, they would need a faxed copy of my consent sheet and a few days notice.  Saaa, another day!
Kwasi was at the shop when we returned, and we decided to walk to two more water companies to complete my comprehensive look at sachet water in Sogakope.  Both visits were highly productive – Voltech and Hope water.   

We were accompanied by a very interesting man named “Hillary.”  Hillary was known around town as “Anti-Obama,” and boy, his nickname served him well.  For some reason, he took it upon himself to read fox news daily and adopted a conservative point of view on American politics.  He was against gay rights, abortion, the whole 9 yards, and loved Bush because he was a “Strong, powerful man,” and was of course, skeptical of Obama and the birth certificate ordeal.  Interesting man.  
 
Empty Sachets bagged for recycling!
I spent the afternoon transcribing; I have a lot of work to do!  Tomorrow I return to Accra after a successful trip to Sogakope!

No comments:

Post a Comment