Total Pageviews

Friday 28 June 2013

A long day fom Tamale to Mole

-->
Tuesday, June 25, 13
            If I haven’t said it before, today is the kind of day where I reiterate my claim: If you accomplish one task, consider it a good day when you’re in Ghana.
            This morning, after waking up and packing, I decided to hit the road and find breakfast.  I didn’t feel like grabbing egg sandwich, so instead I walked about a mile down the road to find some vitamilk, grounduts, and imported “hobnob” cookies.  With some food in me, I headed back to the Catholic Guest House and sat in the patio area to read Bell Hooks’ Feminist Theory. While reading, Keith joined me with a friend named Zack.  Zack was the head of the household where Keith’s wife Katie stayed when she was in the Peace Corps.  As it turned out, Zack also was a director at the Tamale branch of Food and Drug Administration in the water regulation branch; a perfect candidate to interview!
My interview with Zack

            After interviewing Zack and hanging out for a bit, our group headed to our favorite SWAD FAST FOOD lunch place.  From there we headed to the bus station, for our supposed 1:30 PM bus departure.  We waited, walked around, ate mango and vitamilk… 2 PM rolled around, 3, 4, 5… and about 6 PM the bus showed up.  To kill time, I taught younger group members how to play Spaa, a favorite Ghanaian card game that I like to play.  The public rest room cost 10 Pesewas to use, and featured a small hole against a brick wall.  

Small girls out of school on a lunch break
            The bus was a government run Metro Mass Transit (MMT) vehicle that had obviously seen better days. The road out to Larabunga and Mole was paved for the first thirty minutes, then a bumpy road for another three hours.  When we stopped along the way at Domango, I introduced myself to a couple of Canadian girls who were on a teaching vacation.  We finally arrived here at Mole (pronounced MOH lay) at about ten thirty, and I’m rooming with Keith and Dave to save money.  We celebrated with some brews and a dinner of grounduts, beef jerky, and hobnobs.  In the end, we accomplished our task: we made it to Mole.  Tomorrow holds a Safari and transcription.  
A traditional dish: Groundnut Soup with Rice Balls


No comments:

Post a Comment