Total Pageviews

Monday 10 June 2013

Ho, Yeah!


6/10 – Monday
            Today I embarked on another journey to an unknown part of Ghana – Ho.  Supposedly, it is the capital of the “Volta Region” (Ghana has 10 of these), and it’s apparently a large city with an airport, if my little Google images map download isn’t mistaken. 
            I took breakfast, packed my things, and decided to leave behind some non-essentials, like 5 of the books I’ve been lugging around in my backpack.  After settling the bill, I gave the not-so-secret Ghana handshake to the employees I’ve become good friends with this visit (and over the years) – James, Kofi, Frank, and Eric.  They wished me well, and I headed to the junction to hail a trotro. 
Once one arrived, I witnessed one of those Ghana moments.  A woman and the “mate” jumped out to help unload a storeowner’s cargo – hundreds, and I mean hundreds of pineapple and melons.  Each wide, well-used metal tub was had the fruit neatly stacked in a conic fashion, and after the several hundred pounds of fruit were unloaded; I saddled up and carried both bags on my lap.  After “becoming light” at Kings way and meandering into the chaotic Tudu station, I found a good-sized trotro heading to Ho.  One passenger had a whole general store’s inventory to bring, including everything from diapers to hats.  His inventory was so great that we had to tie the trunk “shut” or as close to it as a plastic rope could get us. 
The journey out of Accra was long as expected, but once outside the city’s urban sprawl, the landscape was beautiful.  

 After about an hour and a half, we were in a rather dense rainforest, complete with broad baobab-like trees, ferns, and palm trees. 



After nearly a four-hour drive, I arrived in Ho and took a taxi to the Bob Coffee Hotel, which I find quite nice by Ghana standards.  A spacious room, hot shower, fridge, and AC, all for 60 Cidis a night ($30).  I took a trip down the street to find some fresh food – pineapple and oranges, or Abrobe and Ankaa.  I even had time for one interview on the way back; I couldn’t help but find someone, because the streets are noticeably cleaner here!   

A long journey, but I’m safe and healthy.  Tomorrow I’ll explore this new town!

No comments:

Post a Comment