Total Pageviews

Friday 21 June 2013

Living Gold

Friday, June 21, 13
            Today was far different from what I’ve experienced these past three weeks.  Last night after dinner, James knocked on my door to alert me that our car was ready.  We drove to Baria junction, and retrieved his whole family – his wife and children, brother, brother in-law, and a handful of cousins, a group of around 10 in total.  From there, we drove to Kotoko international airport to retrieve the group of students and teachers, a group I’ll refer to as Hubert’s group or Keith and the gang.  The travelers were excited, exhausted, and glad to have finally made it to Ghana.  I was thrilled to have some fellow Obruni’s to talk to. 
Bako Obruni...Mianue Obruni..Miensa Obruni... 7 Obruni!




            This morning was a logistics day for the group – phones, fufu, and for-ex.  I walked the crew to meet Frank, my phone guy, who was happy to see me.  Frank was the one who encouraged me to head to Sogakope.  After phones were settled, we walked to Amasaman junction, took a trotro to Circle, and tried to arrange a ride for tomorrow’s journey to Kumasi.  Normally I just wait for a car to come to the roadside, or head to Tudu station to take the first spot available in a cheap trotro when I travel.  However, I’m not alone now.  Keith wanted to see if we could charter a trotro to fill 7/14 spots at the station and pick up the rest of us at the Fise junction.  Unfortunately, we couldn't agree on a fair price, so tomorrow morning we’ll go again.
            From there, we walked to “The African Loom,” an art gallery that features artists from all over Ghana and the surrounding countries.  Keith picked up a painting, everyone else grabbed a small piece of artwork, including myself (I grabbed a cheap screen print).  By then, it was lunch time, and we each had a large, spicy bowl of fufu with various meats.  This afternoon I’ll hit up the foreign exchange one last time, then read some of my book before getting an early night’s sleep and heading out tomorrow morning.  
Fufu in the making
The Final Product!
            This recent integration with fellow Americans has really snapped me out of a sort of trance I’ve been in since I left home back in May.  At lunch, I was asked, “So, were you lonely?”  I didn’t have an immediate answer.  Yes, the first few days here were certainly lonely.  But was my loneliness a product of missing my friends and family, or was it simply culture shock?  Come my adventure to Sogakope, I was already comfortable with taking public transportation, speaking my Twi, eating my fufu…Within a few days of returning to Ghana, I was back to my routine as a Ghanaian, and with this adaptation, the crushing feeling of loneliness nearly vanished.
            Within my first week back in Ghana, my friend Yao asked me, “So, you’ve been to Ghana three times.  Why do you want to come back?”  Unlike the previous question, I had a better-formed answer.  There are simple, easily identifiable reasons why Ghana’s a great place to explore.  The country is quickly modernizing, yet the economy remains third-world status, meaning the tourist industry is becoming more sustainable while remaining affordable.  There are baboons, monkeys, elephants, and bushbuck, and who wouldn’t want go on a safari.  Of course, the dishes and fruit are tasty and exotic at times.  But more than any other place I’ve visited in the world, the people here are genuine, kind, fun folks.  Crime is nearly nonexistent.  As I mentioned earlier, the pace of life here is slow and relaxed.  When a car breaks down in the middle of the road,  pedestrians drop what they’re doing to help push the car.  And when someone has extra food and sees you hungry, they smile and shout, “Come!  You are invited!”  Ghana was named the “Gold Cost” during colonial times, and was a central hub for the gold trade.  However, despite the mining industry’s shrinkage, “the gold cost” is still an apt name for a country where the people and general life ethos are truly living gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment