Total Pageviews

Thursday 4 July 2013

One thing at a time

July 4th, 2013
            Well happy 4th of July, Americans!  Alike the fourth of July I spend here back in 2011 and 2009, the only indication that it’s a national holiday in America would be the facebook updates and occasional mini-American flag hanging on the windshields of trotros.  


            Last night, I had a surprisingly sound night’s sleep despite the nearly rock-hard mattress and decrepit fan.  After a hearty breakfast, I went to work on a paper on bell hooks Feminist Theory, and capped 2000 words before heading our for lunch in town.  The hotel I’m staying in is a few miles outside Koforidua, and there isn’t much cheap public transport like you’d find in Kumasi or Accra.  I began to walk, trying to flag down any taxi I saw.  After 20 minutes in the hot sun, one pulled over with room for one more; the charge was 60 Pesewas regardless of where one boarded, all the way into town. 
            After a filling lunch of fried rice, I spent a few hours looking for interviews, water plants, and gifts.  To my surprise, I was turned down time after time for an interview, and had an unfruitful search for water plants.  Saaa!  I managed to secure a gift for an old friend, as well as a plastic bag.  Now, this “plastic bag” is a staple for travelers here and is no ordinary bag; it measures 12”x24”x36”, and is formed from thick, nearly soda-bottle caliber plastic; perfect for transporting goods. 
            After returning from town, I wrote another four pages on my feminism essay, then retired to the open area to read a new book: The Meaning of Marital Equality by Scott R. Harris.  However, six pages in, a proper storm came and forced me to retire to my room.  Although today was unproductive in terms or research, it was another typically Ghanaian day; one where I set out to do a few things, some didn’t pan out, and I’ll just plan for tomorrow.  This is how the country works; everyone tries to accomplish something every day, and if it doesn’t pan out, there’s always tomorrow.  It’s  one of the most powerful aspects I miss when I’m back home: simplicity coupled with acceptance of reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment